Sunday, April 14, 2013

Who's Hungry?

Just another Sunday morning at the Steed house....


When we first got the chickens I wasn't sure what to expect with what they would eat or how much, but honestly it has been quite easy.  We got a 50 lb. bag of "starter feed" when we first got them and that lasted a little over a month for the 5 chicks. 


After they were about 4 to 5 weeks old, I started giving them small pieces of iceberg lettuce and they loved it! 

We now give them almost any of our produce "scraps" such as green and red bell peppers, asparagus stems, squash, strawberry tops, the ends of romaine lettuce, etc.  And they eat it all!  They love their iceberg lettuce treat I give them every night. 


And then of course, they are out of the chicken coop most of the day, roaming free in the back yard and they hunt and peck at the ground all day - eating grass and whatever bugs they can find. 

One of the old wives tales say that birds eat 2 times their body weight in food a day.  I thought no way could that be true - but man, watching these chickens eat and gobble up the lettuce right out of my hand, I bet it is true


As the chickens continue to grow and eat more and more, I am so glad that I am raising my own chickens and will know exactly what went into the chicks so that they can produce and lay healthy eggs.  Sure makes me think twice about what is in those eggs we buy from Krogers... just some food for thought.  No pun intended :)

And here's the beautiful sunset from our backyard tonight...

1 comment: