Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Coop

The chickens were out growing their little cage in the garage.  So we had to make some moves and find a chicken coop.  I had looked at quite a few online, many had mixed reviews.  Also, I really wanted one that was hand made by some one local (preferably local only because of the crazy shipping costs for delivery from out of state).  Plus the coops online required assembly - I mean I don't know about you, but putting together a chicken coop did not sound like the most exciting or easiest thing to me... Right up there with buying a dresser that requires assembly.  Yes, I am speaking from experience.

Here is my dream chicken coop.  Maybe one day we can build one like this, but there was no way I was dropping $1,000+ on a house for my chickens.  YIKES.  But I will say great customer service - he responded same day to my inquiry about specific pricing.  Many options available at The Green Chicken Coop.


Anyways, Grant was out "running around" with his Dad a couple weekends ago and they happened to stop at Bethel Feed and Supply.   They had a nice size, hand made chicken coop for sale.  I wasn't sure if the size was going to be big enough, but it had wheels and handles (kind of like a wheel barrel) for easy movement around the yard.  We felt this would be our best option.

The coop has two nesting areas for the chicks, once they are ready to start laying.  And everything I have read, says that chickens can share but usually only like 2 chickens to a nester.  So this should be about right for us. 


Right now the chicken coop is in our garage so the chickies can stay nice and warm.  Thanks to the silly Cincinnati weather, that can't make up it's mind... That means no garage parking spot for me :(  According to my research, chickens must be fully feathered before you can leave them outside permanently.  And the weather should only be getting into the 40s at night, so that their body temp doesn't drop too low.  Fun fact: A chicken's body temp is above 100 degrees F.  And that is how they are able to warm the eggs enough so that they hatch.  Makes sense but never thought of that before. 

I have introduced the chicks to our yard during the days and they love it! Check out this video...


Hoping that spring decides to arrive sooner rather than later. xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment