Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's Dangerous Out There

The chickens have been enjoying the nice weather over the last few weeks.  Here in Ohio, the weather was sunny and in the 70s during the last couple of weeks.  And so last week, I started leaving the chickens out in the back yard for extended periods of time. 

I should mention that Savannah has learned that the chickens are her friends.  I don't think she had any intention of hurting or killing the chicken - she just wanted to play.  But she has become quite a help to herd them back towards the coop so that I can catch them.  So we have made progress in the right direction. 

But anyways, I was getting comfortable with the fact that they do not really get into anything and just peck around the yard and eat the grass and bugs.  They also discovered the mulch beds and would escape from the sun and hide underneath the bushes.  It was the funniest thing - I went out to check on them and they had all burrowed down into the mulch and created a bed-like area, which they were all snuggled in. 

 
Check out this funny video I took of them in the mulch beds...
 
 
We did have a visit around 6am last Friday morning from Mr. Fox.  It was right around dawn, and I heard the chickens squawking, looked outside and the fox was clawing at the coop - trying to get in.  I ran out and yelled and the fox scurried away.  But, I was feeling pretty comfortable with leaving them outside unattended, during daylight, with Savannah outside only if I was home.
 
Yesterday, I let them out of the coop around lunch time and went to run some errands, came home and was doing some work - when Grant yells "FOX".  I got to the door just in time to see the fox grab one of the chicken and feathers flying everywhere.  I was screaming so the fox ceased his pursuit and ran out of the yard. 
 
 
I could only see 4 of the chickens, one of which was injured, and then 5th was MIA. Izzie was the chicken that Mr. Fox had attacked and I ran down to get her.  Surprisingly - there was no blood.  He got her tail feathers and wings.  She was having a hard time walking though.  She just sat down and was breathing hard with her little beak stuck open.  I searched for the 5th chicken and luckily found her hiding behind a tree up by the deck.  All chickens were accounted for.  I am SO lucky that we ran out in time.  At least our yard is big enough that the chickens had enough time/space to run away from their predator.
 
Izzie is in a great deal of shock and is still not eating.  I have her following the same treatment as Grey, and she is sleeping in a warm, dry cage in our garage for the next day.  I am trying to get her to eat some yogurt and at least get her strength back up.  But she is a scared chicken right now.  So I guess it will be a long summer - because I know Mr. Fox will be back.  But I will be ready and waiting with a bb gun.  Don't mess with my chickens, Mr. Fox!
 
Stay safe out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment