Saturday, May 18, 2013

Safe and Sound

I would like to report that there have been no fox sightings for over a week.  I'm not sure if we scared it off, or if he is just waiting for the perfect conditions to attack again.  Either way, the chicks have been out of the coop for most of the day for the last few days, and no predator issues.  I also think it helps that Savannah is outside most of the day as well.  And now that she is the official chicken herder - I don't have to worry about her bothering them. 

 

However, I do have a new issue.  The chickens are now sleeping in the nesting boxes.  The nesting boxes are supposed to be solely used for laying eggs.  This way the area is relatively clean, and available for the hens to lay eggs whenever the time comes.  At first, I was glad that they found the top area, because it was safe and away from predators.  But then I realized how much they poop in the boxes and really there is not enough space for 5 chickens in 2 nesting boxes.  And then I was thinking, once they start laying eggs, I don't want them crushing the eggs. 


So Grant talked to one of his "guys" and decided that we need to build an extension on the coop.  The extra run area will be big enough that they can fly around and it will have 2 other "roosts".  Part of the problem is that the chickens want to sleep off the ground and at the highest location possible.  They are birds.  But in the current coop set up, there is only one small roost area and the nesting box area is higher than the roost. 

 

I am hoping that with the additional space and roosts - the chickens will figure out to sleep on the roosts.  We also made the roosts out of 2x4's with the widest side parallel to the ground, which will make it easier for them to balance and sleep on.  The addition to the coop is not quite finished, but hopefully will be next week.  And once it is complete, I am going to block off the nesting boxes at night so that sleeping in there is not an option.  But at least they feel comfortable in the boxes.  At first I was afraid they wouldn't know to go to the boxes to lay their eggs. 

And speaking of laying eggs, the big question... how much longer til they start laying?? I am hoping that within the next 3 to 4 weeks we have eggs!  I will be sure to post a picture of the first egg.  I am going to be so bummed though not knowing which chick laid the first egg.  I don't know what the signs are  to tell when they are ready to lay eggs.  They have seemed extra hungry lately... does that mean anything? I'm not sure. 

Anyways, have a great weekend.... Chicken love.

No comments:

Post a Comment